If you suffer from acne and are looking for natural solutions to regain beautiful skin, consider the benefits of plants. Phytotherapy allows you to act from the inside and complete the effects of the treatments you apply to your epidermis. Indeed, acne problems are, above all, due to internal disorders that plants can help to rebalance. Find out which ones to use and in what form.
What Are The Factors Involved In Acne?
Acne and the appearance of inflammatory pimples on the skin are mainly due to the following:
- Hypersecretion of the sebaceous glands causes excess sebum: hormones, foods with a high glycemic load, stress that releases cortisol, etc.
- An imbalance of the microbiota. Indeed, microbial flora (composed of bacteria, viruses, and fungi) is naturally present in the skin and other organs/tissues, such as the intestines. An imbalance of this microbiota can lead to the onset of inflammatory diseases.
- It is, therefore, necessary to respect the fragile balance of the microbiota of the skin and that of the intestine because they are linked together.
- This is why an unbalanced skin microbiota and poor intestinal functioning can lead to skin problems such as acne, rosacea, and dermatitis.
- Congestion of the emunctory organs, which are responsible for the elimination of toxins from the body.
- If the elimination organ, the liver, is saturated, the toxins will then be eliminated through the secondary organs, such as the skin, and cause imperfections.
- Inflammation: caused by a pro-inflammatory diet, for example, or the development of the bacterium propionibacterium acnes, which promotes the inflammatory process.
So to get rid of your acne and recurring imperfections, you need to act on the source of the problem. This is why the sole use of cosmetic products on the epidermis’s surface is not enough. And plants can be very effective in acting internally on these different factors.
How To Act Internally In Case Of Acne?
Adopt a global approach to put the odds on your side to overcome your pimples and skin problems. For it :
- Try to understand the influence of your diet on your acne.
- Pro-inflammatory foods (gluten, for example) containing hormones (such as dairy products and especially those from cows) or with a high glycemic load (baguette, white rice, white sugar, refined/processed food) can aggravate skin problems.
- Try a complete removal over 2-3 months to see if it improves your acne.
- Bring pre and probiotics to your body through fermented foods or food supplements.
- Fill, if necessary, any deficiencies in vitamin A and Zinc (15mg 2 times a day).
- Identify any disruptive elements of the hormonal balance (pill, stress, puberty, pregnancy, polycystic ovary syndrome, thyroid problems, etc.)
- Facilitate the work of the elimination organs by avoiding excesses and overloads. Drainage and detoxification cures can be followed twice a year with the help of a naturopath.
- Opt for a natural skincare routine that respects your microbiota, cleanses your skin without irritating it, regulates sebum secretion, and soothes inflammation.
Also Read: 4 Foods That Give You Pimples
What Are The Preferred Plants?
If you suffer from acne, the use of plants in a cure of a few weeks allows you to act on different levels:
On Liver Function
Indeed, supporting the liver function is essential in the case of acne because it is the organ in charge of the degradation of toxic substances and the recycling of excess hormones.
Purifying plants such as burdock, dandelion, fumitory, nettle, and artichoke … support the liver.
On The Circulation Of The Lymph
Facilitating and improving lymphatic circulation is essential for draining waste and eliminating toxins from the body. Plants such as marigolds, witch hazel, sweet clover, or echinacea promote lymphatic circulation.
On The Hypersecretion Of The Sebaceous Glands
To regulate secretion and limit excess sebum to prevent the appearance of pimples. For example, lemon balm or green tea can be recommended.
Plants with anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, such as marigolds, wild pansies, and plantain, help calm skin inflammation.
How To Use These Plants?
It is possible to find them dry and to prepare herbal teas and decoctions. They also exist as mother tinctures = TM: maceration of the fresh plant in a mixture of water and alcohol. These extracts are rich in active principles derived from plants. It is generally advisable to take 50 drops daily (pure or diluted in a bit of water). However, due to the alcohol content, mother tinctures are not recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women and children under eight years old.
What Mother Tinctures Can Be Used For Acne
- Burdock: is indicated in case of skin lesions at the rate of 50 drops of TM in the morning. Burdock, traditionally used to treat acne, is often associated with wild pansy for a synergistic skin-purifying effect.
- Wild pansy: it participates in eliminating toxins. Thirty drops of TM morning and evening can be recommended as a 3-month cure.
- Marigold: used in inflammation of the skin, it also promotes healing. Its mother tincture can also be applied directly to a compress to be dabbed morning and evening on pimples.
- Lemon balm: reduces the secretions of the sebaceous glands. It is, therefore, beneficial in case of excess sebum. The mother tincture can be taken 2 to 3 times daily, with 25 drops in a large glass of water.
- Nettle: is extremely remineralizing and rich in nutrients, including magnesium and zinc: two essential minerals for the skin and hormonal health. It is also an astringent, depurative, and diuretic plant, which is why it is particularly recommended if acne is linked to an excess of toxins. The recommended dosage of this mother tincture is 25 drops in a glass of water three times a day. Combining different mother tinctures to obtain a synergy of action is possible.
Discover Two Recipes For Mother Tincture Mixtures
- 15 mL TM Dandelion
- 15 mL TM Fumitory
- 15 mL TM Artichoke
- 15 mL TM Nettle
- Take 20 drops, 2 to 3 times a day, in a large glass of water before meals start.
- 30 drops of TM Burdock root
- 20 drops of TM Lemon balm
- 20 drops of TM Marigold
- 20 drops of TM Echinacea
- To be taken with a bit of water morning and evening for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Know that burdock and its action on the liver can initially aggravate pimples.
Also Read: Winter: 5 Tips For Radiant Skin